Saturday, January 15, 2011

Talk about busy.

I wish I could somehow put into words how busy I have been over the last 3 days. Some of it has been GOOD busy and some NOT SO GOOD busy. So we shall start off with describing Wednesday's track session. I had a bit of a bone to pick with myself for piking out in the previous weeks 1km efforts, so when I was faced with another set of 1km efforts - I dug my heels in good and proper and made sure that I completed it without too much fuss.

I actually felt alot stronger and definately much more consistent in my times even though I still went out a bit harder on my first 1km.

I am lucky that I have a friend who matches me if not pushes me to try and push for better results - thanks Sarah, we really make a good team.

Then Thursday morning I backed it up with a 90min group ride with some friends from PTC. Was quite a nice ride actually - fairly good pace held for the majority of it and even though I was meant to be doing intervals through this, it didn't feel right to just take off on each set so I instead attacked the hills. We managed to ride 44km in the 90mins holding a pace of 27.5km/hr.

Thankfully Friday was my day off - my legs had totally had it from 3 consecutive days of workouts based on my lower limbs and I have needed them rubbed by dear old hubby - thanks Stephen.

Then this morning was SuperSet Saturday. Not sure if this will be a regular deal, but let me tell you I am stuffed. Not sure if it's the fact that I had to wake up at 3am to get to the pool which was quite a distance away - or if it was the fact that I swam 1.9km, then cycled 62.3km and then backed it up with 4 x 1km run efforts - but the outcome is still the same -
I AM KNACKERED.

The swim was broken up into
  • 100m easy Fr/s
  • 300m worth of drills
  • 15 x 100's Fr/s leaving on 1:40.
I managed to do each 100m on and around the 1:20 mark - not bad considering the pool was hot like a bath. So hot that after each 5 x 100's we were actually allowed to stop and cool down under a cold shower. Thank goodness for that - my head felt like it was going to implode.

No sooner was that finished I had a quick rinse down got dressed in my bike gear and we headed off for a 2hr bike ride with some 10min intervals mixed in. Only this time I totally sucked at the hills - I had nothing to give and dropped off again - but when the flats came I totally hammered them and was able to keep up (drafting of course) behind some of the fast ones. During my ride I was happy to see some familiar faces from the club out on the road - they were doing a 120km bike ride and where making it look easy.

Riding back to the car I started to get nervous as I knew I had 4 x 1km run sets. I am pleased to say that I totally nailed them - FOR ME. Each 1km was done in
  • 5:01
  • 5:03
  • 5:10
  • 5:14
I was done for the morning and had done a SUPERSET.

When I got home I had a shower and after lunch was about to settle down for a nap on the couch when my husband walked outside to the sound of our Foxie barking. He was so proud of himself - he had killed himself a common Brown snake. One of the most venomous snakes here in Australia.
As my husband was proceeding to dispose of it I noticed Milo's back leg - there was a bit of blood of it. As we brought him up onto the decking I had a better look and noticed a light brown droplet near the area - I knew he had been bitten. So I quickly bandaged his leg and told Stephen that we needed to get him to the vet, by this stage he was already panting quite heavily.

Within a further 2 minutes as we were preparing to get him to the vet he had lost control of his body and could not walk - it was at this point he started to seizure - OMG, I couldn't believe we were losing our dog. As soon the seizure finished I picked him up and started to rush him to the car and he stopped breathing - there was no pulse either. He was limp and all I wanted to do was hug him and hold him tight - but I instead laid him on his back and started CPR.

My daughter was rubbing his face and yelling at him to wake up and my other son was crying - but within a few brief moments he made a funny moaning sound and he turned his head and focused his eyes on me - I couldn't believe it - he responded but no sooner did we get him into the car he had another seizure.

My husband rushed him to the vet were they were all on stand by with the anti-venom and believe it or not within 10mins he was sitting up on the table. We know he is not out of the woods and he has to stay at the vets under close observation till Monday - but even the Veterinarian has said he is one lucky dog. It's a rarity for one to survive a Brown Snake bite. For a 12yr old Fox Terrier - he is a trooper.

My daughter however keeps going outside to check on the other 2 dogs - I fear she has been quite shocked by the whole experience. I think she will feel much better when he is back home where he belongs.

WHAT A DAY!

I think its time for beddy byes as tomorrow is another big day. Please keep Milo in your prayers.

4 comments:

  1. What a killer workout... and what a brave little guy Milo is. I know the feeling of losing your dog, and it's absolutely horrible. I'm so glad he got to the vet in time, and that you knew what to do for him to get him there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh, I am so sorry about Milo. What a tough dog. I hope he is doing much better! I hope your children have recovered, too.

    I wanted to name my daughter Milo, but my husband said it was the name of a dog...now I believe him. My daughter was named Mai instead...but she likes me to call her Milo :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello,

    i just saw you website on Google, and I found these on buy-snake-wine.com but i wonder where to find other snake related products, any idea ?

    Thanks for your help.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ms Duffy:I am so glad he is okay, thankyou for your kind words they really mean alot.

    Julie: Milo is such a cute name....thats too funny.

    Anonymous: thanks for that information, not sure where to get more though. Sorry.

    ReplyDelete

I am so happy you have stopped by. You have made my day.

Your hard work will be rewarded.

"The path to a dream is paved with sacrifices and lined with determination. And though it has many stumbling blocks along the way, and may go in more than one direction, it is travelled by belief and courage and conquered with a willingness to face challenges and take chances" Barbara Cage