Thursday, February 18, 2010

I can run.

I am finally allowed to run. I have been itching like a race horse stuck in its holding pen to get out and just run. Not because running is like my most favourite sport in the world, but simply because it is the one leg of this Triathlon that I need to work on the most. And I havent been because of the shin splints. Granted - I am glad I rested them because now they feel totally fantastic. Gone is the stabbimg pain right in the front of the shin, gone is the burning pain everytime I placed my foot down. There is nothing. ALRIGHT.
At the beginning of last week I had been allowed to do really fast walking. Some think that my pace is quite fast, and I guess it is. My parents blessed me with long legs. Even I noticed that if I got any faster I would have to up it to a very slow jog. And so because my shins felt good after the fast walk, I was then allowed to do a bit of running at bootcamp class. Nothing to complain of as an after ill effect there either. Could it be that things were just feeling good, finally ? Of course!!
So this week was the tester. And what a week to start running. Bootcamp was back to its good old form. Gruelling. Yay. I know, sounds mental but I love it. My best friend had always said to me before I started getting fit - if she feels the burn then she knows its working. I always said back then "if it hurts then something is wrong". This was only true for some part of it. If my back hurt then I just had to find something else to do, on the other hand if it was muscular then I just had to grin and bare it. Nowadays, I looooove the burn. The burn is my friend.
Anyway, back to the running. This week was definately going to test whether or not things would hold up. In total we did about 2.1km. I started off feeling hesistant and then I felt great, but with that greatness I held myself back and did about 500m of those at a fast tempo walk inbetween some runnning. I am happy to report that I woke up in the morning feeling great. Nothing was sore at all. I feel great.

2 comments:

  1. Barb. on the "hurt" question, just need to keep in mind two types of pain. One type is a result of injury, and is such a terrible feeling! The other is that "burn" that results from a good workout. That's an ache that can actually feel pleasant because its a sign of having done the body a lot of good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, feeling the burn makes me realise that I am actually exercising properly. I used to hate it at first and thought I was about to die, but now I love it. My shin pain when it happens is something totally different and when that happens I stop. I don't like stopping but I know it is for the best.

    ReplyDelete

I am so happy you have stopped by. You have made my day.

Your hard work will be rewarded.

"The path to a dream is paved with sacrifices and lined with determination. And though it has many stumbling blocks along the way, and may go in more than one direction, it is travelled by belief and courage and conquered with a willingness to face challenges and take chances" Barbara Cage